IEA Industrial Energy-Related Technologies and Systems (IETS TCP)
The Austrian industrial sector's energy consumption amounts to 35% of the total end use. In addition, it is responsible for 30% of carbon dioxide emissions. Thus, there is a high potential for reducing energy consumption through energy efficiency and the increased adoption of renewable energy technologies.
The IETS programme was established in 2005 as a result of a merger, revamping and extension of activities formerly carried out by separate industry-related programmes. It is concerned with research and development activities in industrial energy-related technologies and systems. Energy efficiency solutions for various industrial sectors such as pulp and paper, iron and steel are a focal point of the programmes' work, as well as inter-sectoral solutions for different industrial processes such as:
- Integration of renewables
- Industrial waste heat utilisation
- Separation processes
- Carbon capture and storage
The programme fosters international co-operation amongst relevant research strands, networking within and across industrial sectors, as well as exchange of information and knowledge between experts from industry, science and politics.
Work within the IETS programme is organised in so-called annexes. Austria participates in the following Annexes.
- Annex 11 - Industrial biorefineries
- Annex 15 - Industrial waste heat utilisation (Phase 3)
- Annex 17 - Membrane filtration for energy-efficient separation of lignocellulosic biomass component (Working period 2017 - 2020)
- Annex 17 - Membrane processes in biorefineries (Working period 2020 - 2022)
- Annex 18: Digitalization, artificial intelligence and related technologies for energy efficiency and reduction of GHG emissions in industry
- Annex 19 - Industrial Electrification
Publications are available on the IEA IETS Website.
Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Sweden (Secretariat), United States
Klima- und Energiefonds
Mag. Elvira Lutter
Tel.: +43 (1) 585 03 90-31