IEA Working Party on Fossil Fuels (WPFF)
The objectives of the WPFF are to increase the safety and environmental protection concerning fossil energy technologies. For example, carbon capture and storage (CCS) and clean coal technologies are emphasised and there is also an effort, to put them on the political agenda in WPFF partner countries.
The WPFF includes the following work programmes:
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR)
- Implementing Agreement Fluidized Bed Conversion (FBC)
- completed: Clean Coal Centre (CCC) - Austria has left the programm "Clean Coal Centre" in 2016
- Gas & Oil Technology (GOT)
- Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme (GHG TCP)
Activities of the WPFF
Currently the WPFF focusses on the following fossil energy technologies, to give only examples:
- shale gas
- carbon capture and storage
- crude oil production from coal
For these technologies, a technology roadmap was created.
Furthermore, a high level policy dialog concerning CCS technologies with government officials of the WPFF partner countries, China and internationally active NGOs has been conducted.
The participants discussed the current challenges regarding the implementation and introduction, especially in respect to regulations, investments and demand on infra structure.
Federal Minister of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVIT)
Departement Energy und Environmental Technologies
DI Theodor Zillner
Austrian Energy Agency
DI Dr. Günter Simader
Mariahilfer Straße 136
Tel.: +43 (1) 586 15 24-124