Years ago BMVIT started to address the major social challenges presented by urbanization. At national level it has come up with the research and technology development programme "City of Tomorrow", which is meant to improve our understanding of the city as an integrated system and to implement small-scale demonstrations of feasibility.
At international level BMVIT is involved in the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe (JPI Urban Europe). The aim of JPI Urban Europe is to develop a comprehensive, system-oriented perspective on urban challenges, that takes not only technological aspects, but also social, economic and ecological issues into account.
- Digital planning, construction and operation
- Management of energy data
- Energy-oriented urban planning
- Organic facade systems and green surfaces
- Building Cross- energy exchange
- Innovative urban greening technologies
- Energy-plus quarters and districts
- Reduction of urban heat islands
- Regional energy systems
- Smart Grids / Hybrid Networks / Energy Storage
- Smart services and business models
- Urban mining