IEA Bioenergy Task 33: Gasification of biomass and waste (working period 2019 - 2021)
Austria is since 1978 member of the Bioenergy Implementing Agreement of the IEA. The aim of Task 33 „ Gasification of Biomass and Waste" is to exchange information on the utilization of product gases from thermal biomass gasification to produce heat, electricity, chemicals and fuels. Especially the information exchange about R&D programs in the area of biomass gasification, about commercial plants and about possible markets is taken into account, to remove technical and non-technical barriers for the market introduction of biomass gasification.
In the period of 2019-2021 the following priorities will be treated:
as Task projects:
- TP-1: Status of emerging gasification technologies for biomass and waste
- TP-2: Enabling market uptake of large scale gasification technology, a technical and regulatory overview
- TP-3: Health and Safety guide for biomass and waste gasification (Austrian leading)
- TP-4: Status report gasification update (Austrian leading)
- The projects results will be published in form of reports at the Task 33 website.
- Economics of biomass gasification + Operational experiences of pilot and demo biomass gasifiers
- Gas cleaning; experiences, new developments, analytics and diagnostics
- The use of gasification fuel gas in industrial kilns and furnaces + Use of gasification fuel gas
- Health and safety aspects
The workshops will be organized in the frame of the task meeting. Experts from industry and research will be invited and the aim is to cover also those topics, which are not sufficiently treated in international conferences on thermal gasification. After each workshop a report will be compiled and published on www.ieatask33.org.
The most important tool for information dissemination is the Task 33 website. Austria is already since 2010 responsible for design and regular update of the website and gasification facilities database, which is a part of the website.
The information exchange, common activities and Task 33 contacts are for Austria very valuable. Thus thi information could be used by implementation of national projects and/or by organizing national events.
On the other hand is Austria a valuable member of the Task 33. The Austrian representatives are active in leading and supporting Task Projects and they can offer interesting research results as well.
The competence of Austrian representatives are very appreciated. In the upcoming Triennium 2019-21 the Austrian NTL (Dr. Jitka Hrbek) will be Austria again Co-leader together with the task leader from The Netherlands. Additionally, she will be responsible for 2 of the 4 Task Projects (TP 3 and TP4).
Publications are available on the website of IEA Bioenergy Task 33.
Austria, Denmark, Germany, Italy, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and USA