IEA EGRD Workshop "System Resiliency and Flexibility"
Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology (BMVIT)
The Change in the energy system from a fossil fuel based to a renewable energy production is linked to major challenges. Beside of a carbon free energy supply, resilient systems are mandatory in the future. A resilient energy system ensures a durable stable power supply even under extreme conditions.
In the course of this workshop, framework conditions for the minimisation of vulnerability on the one hand and maximisation of resilience of the energy supply on the other had been discussed.
This workshop addressed the following issues:
What will the future energy system look like? What are the key challenges and main risks for energy systems with a high share of variable energy sources?
- Which RES are required to meet the goals of the Paris Agreement?
- To what extent does the increase of RES require technologies to balance supply and demand?
- Differing challenges in various countries: workshop 'One fits all' or unique solutions?
- Are existing technologies sufficient to deal with the necessity of balancing supply and demand?
New technologies and new business models: where are we heading?
- Which technologies for the increase of flexibility are applied on a global scale?
- Of the existent climate change adaption technologies, which are suitable and ready for the system of the next 50 years?
- What are the possibilities and prospects of new technologies to balance supply and demand?
Best practice examples: Which lessons have we learned so far?
- Learning from showcase regions around the world: Necessity of individualised solutions for different needs?
- Which lessons can be learned from regions with a high share of intermittent RES, and are there any further derived findings?
What are the resilient transformation paths for the future?
- Analysis: What are the system's weak points and which factors contribute to a high vulnerability?
- What can be done in order to add a greater impetus to resilience and adaptive and capacity?
Which are the main factors to be considered regarding R&D policies and decision making?
- What potential lies in the transformation towards flexible energy systems to improve resilience?
- Which questions need to be addressed in future R&D policies?
- Which funding instruments will be required?
- Which R&D programmes for the development of new technologies to increase flexibility and system resilience already exist?
Austrian Society for Environment and Technology
Phone: +43 (1) 315 63 93-26