Artificial Intelligence and 5G Technologies in future Integrated Energy Systems
- Austrian Ministry for Transport, Innovation and Technology
- avantsmart e.U.
A reliable, modern infrastructure is the backbone of Integrated Energy Systems. The next generation of 5G mobile communication standard opens up new possibilities for telecommunication and control of intelligent energy grids. Artificial Intelligence is ranked as one of the next megatrends, that will change our society. Systems, that have been coded before, become self-learning systems. Technology leaps create completely new options for innovative concepts and business models, based on available and affordable solutions. How can these new technologies support us in reaching our ambitious climate and energy targets?
The goal of the workshop was to give an overview of the state of the art of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and 5G technologies. Ongoing projects were presented and discussed by several experts from different market segments. Energy suppliers, mobile network providers, researchers and representatives of the federal ministry of transport, innovation and technology came together to look for future potentials of AI and 5G technologies in Austrian markets.
Mission Innovation Austria
Mission Innovation (MI) is an initiative of more than 20 countries and the European Commission, which joined forces at the Climate Conference 2015 in Paris (COP21) to substantially advance research on energy technologies. The aim of this international alliance is to combat climate change and significantly advance the development of clean energy technologies together with public authorities and private investors. Intelligent energy solutions and clean energy technologies are globally part of the largest growth market of the 21st century. This initiative is intended to accelerate such developments and increase participation in this future market.
A number of national activities had been organised under the title Mission Innovation Austria.
09.00 Morning Coffee and Networking
09.30 Welcome, Motivation and Goals
Michael Wiesmüller, BMVIT and Michael Hübner, BMVIT
10.00 What can 5G offer to the energy sector?
Mario Dionisio, DG ENER
10.20 Impulse Statements
- Artificial Intelligence – „A Journey beyond SciFi"
Manfred Litzlbauer, Energie AG
- 5G as enabling technology for Smart Energy Systems
Peter Dorfinger, Salzburg Research
- Research for GaN technologies, devices and applications to address the challenges of the future GaN roadmap
Herbert Pairitsch, Infineon Technologies Austria AG
11.20 Coffee Break
11.45 Panel Discussion: Anticipating Changes and Opportunities - AI and 5G Strategy
- Alfred Ruzicka, Executive Department Information and Communication Infrastructure
- Lisbeth Mosnik, Key Technologies for industrial Innovation: ICT, Production & Nanotechnology
- Mario Dionisio, DG ENER
- Klaus Bernhardt, FEEI
- Erich Prem, EUTEMA
12.30 Lunch Break
13.30 Impulse Statements
- Data Analytics and AI to control Energy Grids
Georgios Chasparis, Software Competence Center Hagenberg
- 5G in Transportation – Innovation and Use Cases
Sascha Zabransky, A1
14.30 Workshop: Discussion in small groups on following topics
- Data Analytics and AI Use Cases
- 5G Use Cases
- Integrated Energy Systems
Including Coffee Break
16.30 Wrap-up and Closing
17:00 End of the event
Chair: Hemma Bieser (avantsmart)
- Technology companies (Energy, Industry, IT, Telecommunication, etc.)
- Organizations engaged in that topic
- Political decision makers and funding agencies