Beacon of innovation gugler cross media, ecoeffective zero energy cross media enterprise featuring zero-emission, zero energy, zero waste
This project is a "Building of Tomorrow Plus" flagship project.
Starting point / motivation
Gugler is a modern sustainable media service company (classic print and new media), market leader in environmentally friendly printing and a successful, growing mid-sized Austrian enterprise. The existing building will be extended from approximately 2140 m² to 5,600 m² net floor area by a new building, at the same time, the 10 years old existing building is going to be refurbished.
Contents and goals
The aim of the flagship project is a new dimension of sustainability: Zero energy standard for the building and cradle to cradle for operational process and building, which means zero emissions, zero energy, zero waste. The building is defined as an interim state in a material and energy flow, which has to meet the criteria of a spatial and temporal global sustainability..
The long term goal of construction must be to integrate the entire lifecycle of a building into a global concept of sustainability, from production of building materials and components and the provision of energy, to their use during 20 to 50 years and disposal / recycling.That means that only substances can be delivered into this cycle, which during their lifecycle on earth can be replaced and / or biological degradated (rrm-renewable raw materials) or can be completely recycled (recycros). This renewability and ecoeffectivity is also most important for the total amount of energy used.
That this is already possible today, shall be proved by the beacon of innovation project Gugler GmbH.
The following sub-projects will be worked out:
- the enterprise of the future- glancing over the rim of work, (not part of the research project) Project management
- Building with recycros- building with specially taking account of recycling materials
- recyclable construction: development of components and construction methods
- Energy Concept Gugler: plus 100% renewable, Process and operation energy synergetically intertwined, made from ambient energy, 100% integrated in the building
- ecoeffective building gugler-cyclable building, LCA before, during, after
- Integration of cradle to cradle production gugler- integrating the cradle to cradle production to be certified
- pilot project gugler, demonstration building
- overall planning for the pilot project gugler - monitoring / evaluation, dissemination
Methods of treatment
Overall strategy and design
For the success of a comprehensive project the selection of the team is of essential importance. All partners have senior experience in their field in Austria and can provide highest expertise and experience in research projects and also in interdisciplinary work.
The interaction of the stakeholders in the entire process and the emotional involvement are essential for the activation of synergy and optimization potential. Therefore, the partners not only take part in the scientific part of the project, but are also integrated in the general planning process as planners and furtheron active in monitoring and dissemination.
To achieve the objectives a concerted proceeding is essential. The flagship projects management is therefore following the model of project management of large construction processes. Flagship gugler is comparable to such processes not in investment but in complexity of the tasks.
Phases and stages of the project
The project consists of basic research, applied experimental development, integrated general planning, building construction, monitoring / optimization and dissemination.
The two projects "building with recycros" and "recyclable construction" compile and develop basic knowledge that is not yet existing in design and Construction. The results of these two then serve the sub-project 5 "ecoeffective building" in which the C2C, passivehaus, TQB-, ABCD-opimized building will be calculated. Together with sub-project 4 project "zeroenergy concept" and sub-project 6 "Integration of c2c printing process, all necessary information will be provided for experimental sub-project 7 "integrated planning process".
The planning process is an integrated one, which means, that the different design parameters are not dealt with in a linear row one after the other, but in a process of optimization loops with the contributing subprojects and experts. The SP 4, 5, 6 also go on during the phase of construction (SP 8). SP 9 includes monitoring with optimization of the operation process until two years after construction and SP 10 – dissemination will guarantee the dissemination of the results to a broad audience.
Expected results / conclusions
Essential Innovation of the Project
Constructing with recycros, Recyclability of construction, zeroenergy- building with building integration of the energy producing components, process energy utilization, demand management with response techniques, utilization of locally available renewable sources of energy, peak demand reduction, lifecycle optmization of the building and production. Evaluation of the building with TQB and the additional tool ABCD (Assessment of Building and Construction - Disposal), with PHPP and according to the cradle to cradle principle.
The innovation content of the flagship project consists on one hand of the individual innovations -referred to before- and on the other hand of an overall strategy with the objective of a building of global sustainability not only in terms of energy supply but also in terms of the cyclability of the materials. This goes far beyond a pure life cycle perspective. The entanglement of process and local renewable energy sources for energy production also goes far beyond the partial application of technically innovative components.
Energy demand and usage
Zeroenergy means that the primary energy consumption of the building is less than the renewable energy produced on site. This includes all applications within the building for its functioning. (Heating, cooling, ventilation, lighting, warm water and auxiliary energy) and for office appliance. The new shell of the building will have passive house standard and the existing building will be upgraded in terms of insulation. Overall energy demand will be cut down as much as possible. The energy will be partially covered from the waste heat production, further from a combination of different locally available renewable resources. (sun, wind, ground heat)
Objectivesof the ecoeffective new building
For the following figures very advanced targets were set:
- Ökoindex 3 (OI3): Primary energy content not renewable (PEI), Global Warming Potential (GWP) from process emissions, global warming potential (GWP) in renewable resources including CO2 saved
- Proportion of recycros to total raw materials: 25%; Proportion of recyclable materials and structures: 95%; recovery of dug out material 80%;, waste disposal figures. ABC Disposal: best practice in comparison with previously evaluated HdZ demonstration projects.
Arch. DI Ursula Schneider
pos architekten ZT-KG
Project or cooperation partners
- Gugler GmbH - Cross Mediales Kommunikationshaus seit 1989, Ernst Gugler, Investor
- pos architekten ZT KG, Ursula Schneider, Architektur und nachhaltiges Gebäudekonzept, Projektleitung Forschungsprojekt
- IBO - Österreichisches Institut für Baubiologie und -ökologie, Hildegund Mötzl, Leiterin der IBO-Abt. für Materialökologie, Ökoeffektivität; Thomas Zelger, dyn. Gebäudesimulation und Bauphysik
- Alchemia nova - Institut für innovative Pflanzenforschung Wien, Hans Werner Mackwitz
- New Energy Consulting - Ingenieurbüro für Neue Energie und Gebäudetechnik, Jürgen Obermayr, HKLSE, Monitoring