aspern Vienna´s Urban Lakeside subproject 2: Inter-building energy distribution
This project is a sub project of the flagship project "aspern Vienna´s Urban Lakeside".
Starting point / motivation
In a foregoing project (NACHASPERN), the fundamental opportunities to present Aspern as an energy autonomous area were outlined based on annual average values (i.e. balancing consumption and production over the year). This project intends to consider the timely distribution of production and consumption of the different user groups in order to identify the appropriate options of local energy exchange and optimal strategies of operation. Based on these findings, measures both, for the demonstration buildings as well as the infrastructure of the residential area will be derived.
Contents and goals
The project will in the first step pursue the goal to support the construction of the demonstration buildings by investigating the options of local energy exchange among the user groups "residential", "office" and "production" and delivering the related findings in-time to the planning teams of the demonstration buildings. In the second step, the further development of the whole "Seestadt aspern" shall be supported by the development of a prototype of a residential area simulation. This shall on one hand allow the derivation of a roadmap for the development of the local energy distribution networks and on the other hand support the development company (Wien 3420 AG) to identify the most appropriate integration of individual construction projects into the local energy system.
Methods of treatment
- Analysis and modeling of the possibilities of local exchange of thermal energy (district heating). Here, the following aspects will be considered: network losses as a function of the system temperature, electric energy demand for pumping, exergetic optimisation, prognosis data and economic efficiency.
- Analysis and modeling of (local) exchange of electric energy. This work will consider the following aspects: Influence of all consumer groups (buildings, street lightning, charging stations for electric vehicles etc.) and producers (PV, wind, etc.) of the residential area, scalability of the distribution network as well as optimal use of the local exchange within buildings, residential block and area.
- Analysis and modeling of the interaction between network infrastructure and building, this activity will investigate the following aspects based on the simulation of individual buildings: discrepancy between individual optimisation (of a building, of a sub aspect e.g. overall heating demand) and overall optimisation of the external energy demand of the residential area as well as the relation between city planning, placement of buildings, building density and the local energy network.
- Analysis of the regulatory constraints: first, for ensuring the feasibility of the demonstration buildings (ensuring compliance with existing regulations) second, for the future development (suggestions for the adaptation of existing regulations).
Expected results / conclusions
Besides measures for the demonstration buildings, the project will yield a roadmap for the energy infrastructure on "Seestadt aspern" and the prototype for cross-building energy simulations. In order to maximise the applicability of the results, the local utility provider "Wien Energie GmbH" will be involved in the steering of the project.
Wien 3420 AG
Project or cooperation partner
- ResearchTUb GmbH
- UT Vienna, Dept. Power Systems and Energy Economics
- UT Vienna, Dept. Energy systems and Thermodynamics
- UT Vienna, Dept. Building Construction and Technology