INNERGY - Real laboratory in the central Inn-valley for climate-neutral semi-urban areas
Starting point / motivation
In order to achieve the regional, national and EU-wide climate goals, concrete implementation solutions and interlinked measures for energy saving, energy efficiency increase and the substitution of fossil fuels with renewable energy sources are needed.
The area around Innsbruck between Wattens and Zirl along the Inn valley represents a prototypical area of a dense, small-structured settlement area. Neighbourhoods with existing buildings from different construction phases, neighbouring industrial and commercial areas and agricultural land form a mosaic of different small-scale uses. A district heating piping already runs as a backbone from Wattens to Innsbruck.
Contents and goals
For the energy transition, this area offers interesting opportunities to develop and test prototype solutions. The spatial proximity of the sectors enables the development of a regional integrated energy system with the pillars of build-up quarters, industrial processes, energy infrastructure and mobility.
The challenges lie in the modernisation of built-up quarters, the embedding of industrial process transformations in the higher-level energy system with synergistic use of potentials and the integration of mobility solutions.
Within the framework of the INNERGY exploratory project, the following should therefore be investigated:
- potentials of existing quarters and industrial enterprises in the central region of Tyrol are to be surveyed holistically and cross-sectorally, and concrete implementation projects for a climate-neutral region are to be elaborated and prepared for implementation. New solution approaches of the innovation ecosystem are also to be integrated.
- INNERGY is to be conceived as a regulatory sandbox supporting the development of transferable solution models. As a key pacesetter, networker and knowledge carrier, the implementation of further projects in the area is to be accelerated. The development of an operating concept for the laboratory is also one goal of this application.
The project consortium consists of relevant organisations owned by the State of Tyrol, renowned academic institutions of the region as well as change agents from the economy. The experts were largely involved in the elaboration of the regional strategy papers and cover all the necessary competences to develop new solutions for the transformation, to network stakeholders and to support actors in the implementation of the projects in the best possible way.
The added value of the project lies in the embedding of individual solutions in an overall spatial energy system that includes a district heating system as a backbone as well as overarching mobility concepts.
The findings and results are evaluated and collected in the knowledge network and can subsequently be transferred to similarly structured semi-urban areas. In addition, a model for the continuation of the real laboratory will be available after the end of the project.
Energie Tirol: Consulting - Research - Funding
Projekt- bzw. Kooperationspartner:innen
- Wasser Tirol - Ressourcenmanagement-GmbH
- Standortagentur Tirol
- MCI - Management Center Innsbruck
- Energie Ingenieure Consulting GmbH
- Cemit GmbH
- Universität Innsbruck, Institut für Konstruktion und Materialwissenschaften, Arbeitsbereich Energieeffizientes Bauen