CO2-Demobau - Exploration of the feasibility of carbon-neutral model construction sites
Starting point / motivation
The motivation of the exploratory project results from the previous study "CO2 neutrale Baustelle". In this project, different completed construction sites of various types were analyzed with regard to their carbon footprint based on current standards.
CO2 savings potentials in different areas were identified and future scenarios for fictive construction sites were created. In doing so, obstacles as well as the need for further development and research for carbon-neutral construction sites were identified.
Contents and goals
The objective of the exploratory study is to prepare specific model projects for carbon-neutral construction sites. From the current point of view, a carbon-neutral construction site without compensation is not economically tenable or, in most cases, even possible. On the other hand, minor savings and CO2 offsets can be quickly and easily achieved. In this exploratory study, several model construction sites are being set up.
On each of these, individual measures to reduce GHG emissions will subsequently be implemented, tested and evaluated. Therefore, the specific goal for the model sites is to reduce as much CO2 emission as possible.
The actual amount of reduction for each construction site will be determined during the course of the exploratory workshops and discussions. The measures that are being tested and prepared for widespread application in practice pursue the overall goal of creating the conditions for the first carbon-neutral construction site without compensation by 2030 and for all sites by 2040.
In the exploratory project the following methodical approach is applied to make precise innovative carbon-neutral construction sites a reality:
- test as many organizational and technical measures as possible (field research) in several model projects
- develop an efficient data collection methodology for simplified calculation of GHG emissions
- establish actual costs of new technologies based on real execution examples
- identify synergies between emission reduction measures, digitalization and construction operations as an opportunity for an eco-efficient construction process
- determine the practicability of new types of construction machinery and methods in an interdisciplinary environment and conduct measurements for this purpose
- find additional measures for planners and construction companies to support implementation of carbon-neutral construction site management
- investigate feasibility of carbon-neutral construction site management
- test the practicability of generating renewable energy on construction sites
The following results are expected as part of the exploratory project:
- prepare model projects for carbon-neutral construction sites
- test and evaluate the practicability of the measures on actual construction sites
- quantify actual reductions and derive recommendations for future construction sites
- set up measurements, data collection and processing procedures for monitoring and evaluation of model projects
Vienna University of Technology - Institute for Interdisciplinary Construction Process Management
Project or cooperation partners
Ressourcen Management Agency (RMA)