CO-MOD - Increasing comfort and energy efficiency through improved lighting and air quality in schools - implementation through modular EPC-models and ESCO-networks
Starting point / motivation
In general local educational institutions such as schools and kindergardens have a high average demand for improved comfort and energy efficiency improvements. Energy services should have provided solutions for those for quite some time, however the services are limited to projects with energy-baselines over € 100.000,--.
CO-MOD develops a flexible, modular concept that can also respond to the individual circumstances of smaller objects.
Contents and goals
This is achieved by the following elements:
- A network of providers that form a so-called Co-MOD-partner-network. Depending on the requirements of the building-equipment, this network acts as a single partner to the customer and shall be liable - as far as it can influence the results - for the energy performance and function.
- Modular structure of the supply side: depending on the technical requirements, only those parts of the network energy services will be activated, which are necessary for implementing the specific measures and for securing the desired energy performance.
Innovative Financing: Modular structure of modernization and efficiency measures need flexible financing instruments:
- for example, non-refundable maintenance funds can serve as base funding
- for further performance improvements non-repayable grants for energy efficiency measures from Energy Suppliers can be used (trade of energy savings for fulfilling the regulations of the federal energy efficiency law) or other subsidies of AWS or KPC, federal and local bodies.
- for the final improvement to increase the comfort in the rooms (e.g. new lighting, ventilations systems with heat recovery, optimization of the heat distribution system), relatives and supporters (in this case parents, grandparents, godparents) are going to be motivated to invest in further actions as it thereby enables their protégés optimal learning conditions and thus a good future potential. The investment brings a return (interest) that is operated from energy savings.
- Bank loans, leasing contracts and forfeiting instruments accomplish the financing structure
- Development of exemplary network energy services based on a business model canvas (Osterwalder method), a value flow model and a value proposition canvas
- Development of alternative financing possibilities including adaptation of energy service models and according business models
- Optimization of fiscal burdens including VAT, capital and income tax for supporters, corporate tax
- Compilation of a modular contract and standard agreements between network members: requirements of the contracts, warranty items, quality assurance
- Investigation of the socio-economic factors: acceptance of the innovative financing models (see above)
- development of concrete implementation models
The project provides the essential base to close the gap in the portfolio of energy services for small objects or small baselines for cities and municipalities, as there are no offers for energy efficiency measures with performance guarantees in this range. Insofar there is a relevant market for these energy services. The focus lies on schools and kindergardens, but it may also be operable for local government buildings and offices.
DI (FH) Reinhard Ungerböck, Graz Energyagency
Project or cooperation partners
- Dr. Rausch GmbH
- m(Research Marktforschung Merchandising Consulting GmbH