KLIMUR: climate-resilient urban resource management for the case study of Zukunftshof and Rothneusiedl
Starting point / motivation
The exploratory project intends to contribute to the development of resilient climate-neutral urban districts with high resource and energy efficiency, increased use of renewable energy sources and a high quality of life. Furthermore, it aims to contribute to the optimisation and adaptation of urban infrastructure and the service provision.
Contents and goals
The case study Zukunftshof will be used to explore the possibilities of turning an old farm into a showcase project for innovative urban agriculture and climate-resilient urban development. The Zukunftshof is to become the starting point for a sustainable energy and resource cycle system in Vienna's Rothneusiedl urban development area.
KLIMUR is developing a methodology and instruments to accompany the planning and decision-making processes for the realisation of local resource cycle management (energy, food, water) and integrated district energy concepts. For the case study Zukunftshof, resource flows (biomass, nutrients and water) are determined, analysed and simulated in addition to energy flows (heating, cooling and electricity).
The multi-criteria optimisation and evaluation models used allow assessments of ecological and energy indicators and take into account the economic framework conditions of the implementation variants.
The partly conflicting goals are presented and discussed in the planning and coordination process with the stakeholders. From this, possible development scenarios on a neighbourhood scale are derived for the Zukunftshof demonstration project and for the Rothneusiedl district and examined for its climate neutrality and economic viability.
- Qualitative and quantitative spatial-temporal analyses for the implementation of the Zukunftshof development concept, with the aim of obtaining a sound basis for realisation decisions during the planning and implementation process.
- Estimates of possible development scenarios for the Zukunftshof and their interactions with the future urban development area of Rothneusiedl.
- Financing strategies for the realisation of the demonstration project.
- A roadmap for the implementation of the development scenarios at Zukunftshof.
- Dr. Ernst Gebetsroither-Geringer
- Center for Energy/AIT Austrian Institute of Technology Ltd
Project or cooperation partners
- alchemia-nova research & innovation non-profit Ltd
- Institute of Spatial Planning, Environmental Planning and Land Rearrangement/University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
- vertical farm institute Ltd
- Zukunfsthof eG