Biotope City - construction manual for the green city of the future
Starting point / motivation
The greening of cities as an adaption strategy to urban heat islands becomes more and more important, not only in Austria but also abroad. Even though there are numerous studies, which proof the important effects of green infrastructure on dense urban areas, the greening of buildings is still underestimated compared to technological solutions.
The implementation of green infrastructure is facing different challenges:
- high complexity in planning and implementation,
- a large number of stakeholders,
- contradictory legal definitions,
- technological issues,
- investments and maintenance.
Based on the overall concept of Biotope City a new district with about 1.000 residences on the former industrial area of Coca Cola in the city of Vienna is developed. Members of the project team (scientifically) accompany the project since the beginning.
The project "Biotope City - construction manual for the green city of the future" offers the unique opportunity to do research on the development of a green district - from the first idea up to completion and occupation - and to work on the transferability of these experiences.
Contents and goals
The project aims to generate realistic components of a "construction manual" for the green city of the future, which are generalizable and transferable.
To achieve this objective the project deals with the following topics:
- quality management and scientific support of the development of the Biotope City district,
- clarification of adjustment factors and restrictions concerning the engineering process,
- analysis of the Biotope City as social environment and analysis of the challenges concerning the maintenance,
- new problem-solving approaches for greening activities and
- new problem-solving approaches for cycles of materials as well as
- additional benefits of a Biotope City shown by (international) best practice examples.
The research is carried out by an inter- and transdisciplinary project team. The multi-layered questions and topics are addressed by a mixed-method approach.
Qualitative and quantitative methods of the participating disciplines from practice and science –
- urban development,
- landscape planning,
- soil bioengineering,
- project development,
- building evaluation,
- resource management,
- social sciences and participation
– are used and interlinked.
Further projects, which aim to develop a green city and regarding the effects of climate change as well as the need to reduce urban heat islands especially in the dense urban areas, will be realized not only in Austria but also abroad.
The "construction manual for the green city of the future" as the main result of the project will supply a necessary groundwork for the successful realization and implementation of green cities in the future. The applied project serves as a model. Based on the case study realized on the former industrial area of Coca Cola the aim is to develop an integral planning process that allows real estate developers and planners to implement a green district.
University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna; Institute of Landscape Planning
Project or cooperation partners
- BC Foundation Biotope City
- G4C Green4Cities GmbH
- Dr. Roland Mischek ZT GmbH
- RLP Rüdiger Lainer + Partner
- Dipl.-Ing. Maria Auböck