Anergy2Plus - Demonstration and expansion of an anergy network as part of a holistic energy concept and plus energy quarter
Starting point / motivation
Living and the way of living together will change strongly in the coming years and decades. In the course of urbanization, many people will move to urban centres, which will become hotspots of energy and resource consumption.
Against the background of climate change and increasing scarcity of resources, a rethinking of our energy supply is necessary, especially in the area of heating, cooling and hot water supply: For this purpose, 51% of the final energy demand in the EU is used, whereby a significant increase in cooling demand is expected in the future.
Achieving any climate targets is therefore linked to a complete decarbonisation of the heating and cooling supply, which must be initiated now by means of innovative concepts. Heating and cooling networks are key technologies here, as they allow an intelligent and sustainable networking of renewables, storage facilities, users and buildings and coupling with other energy supply networks (electricity, gas).
Contents and goals
In Herzogenburg (Lower Austria) a new residential quarter, the "Garden of Generations (GdG)", is to be built. This building project includes the erection and commissioning of an energetic building complex with partially mixed use on a planned gross floor area of approx. 10.000 m².
The aim of the overall project is to develop a sustainable residential quarter over several construction phases, whereby sustainability does not only refer to aspects of energy supply, but also includes other areas, e.g. social life. The central element of the energy supply is to be an anergy network for heating and cooling, which grows with the construction phases and integrates more and more local resources.
In a first construction phase (start of construction Q3 / 2020) three multi-family houses with a partial use of 15% each for e.g. offices, nursing practices are to be built. Parallel to this, the infrastructure for sustainable energy supply via the anergy network is to be installed, including the necessary thermal storage (including ground storage), heat pumps at building level, heat sources via solar collectors and the monitoring equipment for evaluation and optimization of operation.
The aim of the submitted project "Anergy2Plus" is to take a holistic approach to the design, construction and ultimately the use of the residential quarter in terms of energy supply. Particularly in the area of thermal energy supply, the demonstration of the innovative supply concept based on an anergy network is intended to create a project with lighthouse character on the way to a plus-energy quarter.
This demonstration will be supported by a comprehensive monitoring concept. For the planning of the further construction phases further innovative measures on component level (e.g. Photovoltaic, PVT, compost heater) as well as on system level (e.g. load and storage management, interlinking of heat, cold and power supply up to microgrids) will be evaluated and advanced towards implementation. User integration measures are embedded in the demonstration, operation and further planning.
- Use and demonstration of an innovative (ring-shaped) cold local heating network ("anergy network") to supply heat and cold to the neighbourhood based on local resources with high energy and exergetic efficiency
- Active monitoring to optimize the energy network and to create "best practices" and achieve better multiplication and reproducibility of such energy systems for other neighbourhoods
- Planning and simulation of the next construction phases with further innovative measures
- Involvement of the users or residents of the area in the planning, implementation and monitoring processes
- Preparation of the roll out and transferability to other construction projects
- New findings in the planning and transformation process of new settlement projects, urban quarters, etc. (Obkircher Plus, AEE INTEC, planners, responsible persons in municipalities and cities)
- New findings in the field of planning, application and implementation of energy networks as part of a holistic energy supply (heating, cooling, electricity) in energy projects (AEE INTEC, district and neighbourhood developers, responsible persons in municipalities and cities)
- New findings in the field of user and stakeholder integration in neighbourhood developments (GdG, AEE INTEC, users and residents of the demonstration project, responsible persons in municipalities and cities)
Garten der Generationen e.V. (GdG)
Project or cooperation partners
- Obkircher Plus
- AEE - Institut für Nachhaltige Technologien
Garten der Generationen e.V. (GdG)
Am Hainer Berg-Dörflein 10