ECR Energy City Graz-Reininghaus: Urban strategies for the new conception, construction, operation and restructuring of an energy self-sufficient city district
This project is a "Building of Tomorrow" flagship-project
Starting point / motivation
On the basis of the solidarity between the City Planning Department (Stadtbaudirektion) of the City of Graz, the Graz University of Technology and the Federal State of Styria, the processing of the flagship project has been conceived. Main project-issue is the scientific work and the demonstration of the vision of the energy self-sufficient, CO2- neutral city-district Graz-Reininghaus. With the the Framework-Plan ECR an awareness-raising process towards energy-efficient and sustainable city-development will be stimulated.
The environmental department of the City of Graz, (“Umweltamt der Stadt Graz”) and the “Energie Graz” are providing additional professional input. If required, other experts and departments of the City of Graz will be involved into the project.
The research team is composed of different institutes of the Graz University of Technology (see below) and if required, more researchers from the Graz University of Technology can join the project-team. This team-enlargement will be financed with help of the City of Graz and the Federal State of Styria. Within the project-team actually the ECO- World Styria, several companies and external experts are involved.
Contents and goals
The Framework Plan Energy for the Energy City Graz-Reininghaus provides:
- conception of an energy-self-sufficient city district Graz-Reininghaus
- initiation and supervision of the development-process for the energy-optimized and sustainable city district Graz-Reininghaus
- development of energetically specific values as statutory basis in private-legal contracts between the City of Graz and future investors
- concepts for the integration of the energetically specific values in suitable manner in local plans/ regulations (City Development Concept STEK Graz, City-District-Development-Concept Graz-Reininghaus and Development Plans for the 20 city-quarters)
- drawing-up of recommendations for future energy-optimized city developments in Graz and Styria and
- foundation of a knowledge base for future energy-optimized City- developments in the Federal State of Styria.
The flagship project is subdivided into the following subprojects
Arch. DI Ernst Rainer
Graz University of Technology – Institute of Urbanism
Project or cooperation partners
- City of Graz, Stadtbaudirektion Graz
- Federal State of Styria, Fachabteilung 17A Energiewirtschaft und allgemeine technische Angelegenheiten
- Research Team Framework Plan Energy:
- Graz University of Technology – Institute of Urbanism
- Graz University of Technology – Institute of Thermal Engineering
- Graz University of Technology – Institute of Electrical Power Systems
- Graz University of Technology – Institute of Technology and Testing of Building Materials
- If needed, more Institutes of the University of Technology will be involved
- Project partners demonstration project +ERS Plus-Energy Network Reininghaus South:
- Aktiv Klimahaus Ltd.
- WEGRAZ Ltd.
- AEE INTEC
- Graz University of Technology: Institute of Urbanism
- Nussmüller architects ZT Ltd.
- Graz University of Technology: Institute of Technology and Testing of Building Materials
Arch. DI Ernst Rainer
TU Graz, Institut für Städtebau
A- 8010 Graz
Tel.: +43 (316) 873 6789