BIMpeco - Environmentally relevant product data in collaborative BIM environments
Starting point / motivation
Construction products can pose a risk to the environment and health due to their pollutant content or releases. This qualitative product information is not shown in life cycle assessments and has not yet been systematically included in the BIM environment.
In contrast, needs analyses show a high demand for this environmentally relevant product information in the digital building model by manufacturers and users. Normative standards for product information management and product data templates over the building lifecycle such as ISO 19650-1 and ISO 23387 were developed in 2019 and have so far only been used occasionally in proprietary systems.
Contents and goals
In the BIMpeco project, requirements and data structures for digital information management of environmentally relevant product data are developed. This data should be managed and documented in the Common Data Environment (CDE, collaborative BIM environment for all – including non-graphical – information).
The transfer of information along the supply chain, continuous specification of information requirements and quality assurance of the data ensure transparency and knowledge of the environmentally relevant properties over the entire life cycle of the building.
Building on existing and new standards and methods, the BIMpeco project is the first to lay the foundations for product information management of environmentally relevant properties of construction products and building services components in the Common Data Environment (CDE), covering the entire lifecycle and supply chain.
The project results will be
- discussed in workshops with stakeholders and coordinated with established processes.
- made available on an open-source basis and can be integrated into any CDE that complies with the standards mentioned.
- disseminated in research and practice and passed on to standards committees and BIM cooperatives.
Required worksteps are:
- Process analysis based on research and interviews
- Analysis of the existing criteria and reformulation in the form of IFC-compliant attributes
- Structuring the attributes in data templates in accordance with ISO 23387
- Creation of exemplary product data sheets
- Checking, testing and adapting the developed data templates, product data sheets and model descriptions
- Experimental set-up: transfer, storage and provision of the data templates in the CDE
- Experimental set-up: data templates in the phases of planning, awarding and construction
The central project result is an attribute model and data templates for the collection and structuring of environmentally relevant product information on construction products and building services components (conforming to ISO 23387).
Workflows and standards are developed for the integration of this product information in the tendering, awarding and billing process as well as in the Common Data Environment (conforming to ISO 19650-1).
The project results are tested on the basis of case studies using exemplary product data sheets and scenarios.
IBO - Österreichisches Institut für Baubiologie und -ökologie
Project or cooperation partners
- ib-data GmbH
- Güssing Energy Technologies GmbH
- AEE Institut für Nachhaltige Technologien
- A-NULL Development GmbH