WEIZconnected - crossbuilding energy exchange
Problems and initial situation
Technological developments in the field of electrochemical energy storage and the increasing demand for compensation options for the fluctuation of renewable energy generation make use of storage devices in the energy system increasingly attractive and necessary.
Building-integrated energy supply based renewable, decentralized energy sources, in combination with an intelligent energy-management-system that forces energy exchange across buildings, allows an optimized aggregation of complementary load profiles and a considerable degree of self-sufficiency.
Especially the integration of cross-building energy-exchange-systems into the higher-level grid brings new challenges. These are problems particularly with regard to the interrelationship between the systems, technological as well as legal and economic aspects are relevant. Systems of intelligent cross-building energy exchange including distributed generation and storage enable:
- the management of surplus production without use of grid infrastructure, both the distribution grid as well as the transmission grid,
- a significant reduction of feed-in peaks,
- the reduction of power consumption peaks,
- an optimized exploitation of the benefits of a future smart grid,
- a cost-effective use of renewable energies,
- the provision of a broad range of grid-related system services.
Objectives and methods
The subject of this project is the design, development and demonstration/test operation of a total system of energy exchange (electricity) across buildings and building-integrated energy production for different types of buildings (residential, office, laboratory buildings).
The priority objective is to develop and test an integrated overall-system (2 pilot systems with varying requirements and goals).
The main topics are:
- electricity production by building integrated photovoltaic systems energy storage
- development and deployment of an intelligent energy management
- interfaces to the higher-level grid
Expected Results and findings
- solutions for realization under varying conditions
- construction and operation of two pilot-systems
- solutions for establishing interfaces to the higher-level
- grid practical reports on energy-exchange across multiple buildings
- description of project-related legal and economic aspects of the cross-building energy exchange
- project based business model (production, storage, distribution)
DI Franz Kern - W.E.I.Z. Immobilien GmbH
Project or cooperation partners
W.E.I.Z. Immobilien GmbH
DI Franz Kern
Tel.: +43 (3172) 603-1101