Product and system development for an inside thermal insulation construction of historical houses using magnesite bonded wood wool panels
Development of a functional thermal insulation system for inside heat insulation of old buildings to be able to achieve a propriate protection for winter and summer seasons from an economical as well as ecological perspective. These systems should be used in historic buildings with facades which should be preserved. Additionally an evaluation of a sustainability profile is conducted.
- Description of the problem
- General introduction
- Project report
- Results and conclusions
- Final report of FH-Technikum Carinthia (physical measurements at the test facility and parallel calculations by using a computer model)
- Evaluation of sustainability according to the RMA - sustainability profile
- Scientific examination of the efficancy of magnesite bonded wood wool boards used as internal thermal insulation in historic buildings. Additionally points for further developments of products in this field of application should be generated.
- Evaluation of sustainability of internal insulation systems
Method of processing
The method of processing is based on the investigation of the behavior of the Heraklith BM-board, used as internal insulation material which is contucted in a field trial on the one hand and simultaneous simulation calculation (program WUFI-2D) on the other hand. Based on the results of the aquired measurement data from the field trial a simulation calculation of the product will be evaluated and optimized due to functionality and capability.
- Product description of wood wool lightweight building board - Heraklith BM
- Material investigation and test reports of the Research Center of FH Technikum Carinthia
- WUFI-2D material data base
- Market analysis according to the project application
The investigations, which were carried out in this project, are confirming the functionality and suitability of the Heraklith BM-board as reconstruction material in internal insulation application. According to the criteria of the OENORM B 8110-part 2 referring to water vapour diffusion and condensation protection the parameters are fulfilled.
The investigations point out the fulfilment of the criteria and display the Heraklith BM-board as functionally capable refering to functionality as construction material for internal insulation in the field of old building reconstruction.
Additionally the comparison between field trial and computer simulation calculation has been successfully carried out. The results of the simulation calculation are correlating very well with the aquired measurement data.
The application of the Heraklith-boards as internal thermal insulation material is proofed to be an appropriate wall construction system. This wall system was checked based on the criteria acc. to OENORM B 8110-part 2 and is stated as follows:
Table 1: Fulfilment of criteria acc. to OENORM B8110-part 2
|Criteria||Heraklith BM 50||BM 50 + stone wool 60mm|
|No decrease of thermal heat insulation of max.10%||yes||yes|
|No increase of moisture content in timber products of more then 3 %||yes||yes|
|No harm to construction materials (no fungus)||yes||yes
(except window soffit)
|No progressive moisture concentration||yes||yes|
In case of applying an additional stone wool insulation layer, in very rare cases fungus formations can theoretically occur. To minimize the fungus risk, the internal insulation has to be carried out airtight without creating a vapour barrier. This means, that cracks have to be avoided and special attention has to be given to the construc-tion of connecting points. This can be reached by means of edge-spot gluing.
|Project manager:||Ingram Eusch
project manager: Ingram Eusch
Heraklith AG; A-9702 Ferndorf, Nr. 29
Tel: +43 4245 2001 3773
Fax: +43 4245 2001 3078
mob: +43 699 1809 3773