IEA-PVPS.net - Network for increased use of Photovoltaics in buildings
The goals of the PVPS - program are: "To enhance the international collaboration efforts through which photovoltaic solar energy becomes a significant renewable energy source in the near future." The international and world-wide established research program is divided in Tasks with specific objectives:
- To enhance the architectural quality, the technical quality and economic viability of PV systems in the built environment
- To achieve large-scale applications of grid-connected photovoltaics in the built environment
- To promote and facilitate the exchange and dissemination of information on the technical, economic, environmental and social aspects
- To provide PV experts and other target groups with suitable information on the operational performance, long-term reliability and sizing of PV systems and subsystems
Photovoltaics is the innovative technology for producing solar electricity and can be perfectly integrated into the built environment. Hardly any other technology represents such a trend-setting and environmental compatible way in the building industry. As an integral part of the building structure, PV systems have to be included already in the early planning phase.. Besides roof integration, PV - systems are more and more used as electricity producing facade components, as shading devices and many other applications. PV - components represent modern building design and offer numerous aesthetically possibilities for architects.
The goals of the research program of the international energy agency can be complementary combined with benefits for the national building economy by:
- Setting up a global and trend setting research network for photovoltaics in new buildings.
- Dissemination of the results of international research to make up-to date solar technologies and components exploitable by the Austrian building industry.
- Austrian researches, economists and politicians gain access to the most recent developments to initiate world wide co-operation partnerships.
- Strengthening the national R&D competence in the strongly expanding field of building integrated solar systems.
- Using synergies of actual national and international R&D activities.
- Disseminating know-how in the field of building integration and design among all relevant sectors and professional groups.
- Including economical and architectural interests directly into the work plan for the upcoming IEA PVPS Task 10 "Large-scale applications of grid-connected photovoltaics in the built environment".
Partners of the Network are: R&D experts, architects, planners, companies as well as associations of the building and solar industry.
Target groups of the network are: The building and solar industry, architects and energy guilds, administration, R&D institutes, local and regional decision makers, energy and environment advisers .
Planned start of the project:
Duration of the project:
The IEA-PVPS.net's partners form a "Solar Network of Excellence" with the intention:
- to transfer the Know-how of the network partners to the target groups,
- to open the market for all relevant sectors and professional groups,
- to guide the development process towards standardised PV systems and components
- to promote the extensive market development through public relations and events.
Intensive exchange of knowledge and experience beyond the sector borders, adaptation of international research contents and results (CD-ROMs, Flyer or other publications and tools) for the home market, integration and evaluation of international research documents for the home market, summary of the most important results of presentations for a broad circle of interested people and the preparation of a general overview 2002/03.
Creation of a model for economical calculation of building integrated PV systems: Presentation in the Internet and CD-ROMs allow a general use of the model; online announcements to all relevant professionals via newsletters, Reduction of the asymmetry of existing market information and therefore reducing the transaction costs.
Guaranteeing high product quality and reducing the transaction costs by including the inputs of network partners regarding tests for PV systems and components into the international harmonising activities of the relevant Standardisation committees.
Disseminating marketing strategies for an extensive market development of building integrated PV - systems; offering active guidance for future Austrian PV - research focus points.
arsenal research - Österreichisches Forschungs- und Prüfzentrum Arsenal Ges.m.b.H.
- Prof. R. Haas, TU Wien
- Arch. Kaltenegger
- Arch. Kurzweil
- Arch. Prof. G.W. Reinberg
- Architekt Treberspurg
- G. Becker, ATB Ges.m.b.H., Absam, Tirol
- Ch. Panhuber, Fronius Ges.m.b.H.
Faradaygassse 3, Vienna210
A 1030 Vienna
Tel.: +43 50550 6497
Fax: +43 50550 6673