Energy-efficient army barracks
The Austrian armed forces administer and run buildings in 80 different locations all over Austria (army barracks and administrative buildings). Initial research on behalf of the project team revealed that the annual specific heat requirement of army barracks equals around 130 to 200 kWh/m² of heated area.
If we consider the fact that a passive energy house gets by with a heat requirement of 15 kWh/m²a then the enormous potential to save energy and reduce emissions in army barracks, which can be achieved by making improvements in various areas, becomes clear.
The goal of this project is to develop and implement holistic sanitation concepts for army barracks using three model sanitations. In this respect the specific heat requirements (including energy generation and distribution) are to be reduced to the standard of a low-energy house (50 kWh/m²a). Particularly innovative approaches are to give the operator or "contractor" sufficient financial incentive to carry out the overall sanitation concept even if it is a low-energy house standard. The concepts to be prepared are to promote the favourably priced integration of renewable forms of energy and thus allow the CO2 neutral covering of high amounts of the remaining energy requirement.
Implementation plans are prepared for the three model sanitations with due consideration to the adapted "contracting models" and in cooperation with the authorities administering properties of the armed forces. The transfer of the project results to as many of the 80 building complexes administered by the armed forces as possible is a declared goal of the project consortium.
The project divides into the following sections:
- Detailed stock-taking in the three army barracks requiring sanitation
- Definition and simulation of measures to increase the energy efficiency in the three army barracks in terms of the contribution they make towards achieving the standard of a low-energy house.
- Determining the potential for use, technical possibilities and measures required to increase the integration of renewable forms of energy to supply the remaining amount of energy respectively electricity to the armed barracks.
- Evaluation of measures in accordance with the criteria of ecology, economy and technical feasibility. Preparation of "case studies" and catalogues of measures.
- Determination of opportunities and the potential of the model "Contracting" (third party financing) in army barracks, particularly when it comes to the sanitation to the standard of a low-energy house. Adaptation of contract tools and documents of tender.
- Introduction of concrete process of implementation using three model sanitations".
- Transfer of project results to other properties of the armed forces (planning workshop, etc.).
|Project manager:||Ing. Christian Fink
AEE INTEC, Arbeitsgemeinschaft ERNEUERBARE ENERGIE, Institut für Nachhaltige Technologien
Ing. Christian Fink
Feldgasse 19, 8200 Gleisdorf
Tel.: 03112 / 5886