Chemical modification of wood particles for high value wood plastic composites
Aim of the project is to proof the practicability of the production process of high value wood-polyolefin-composites by extrusion of modified (esp. acetylated) wood particles and polyolefins and to develop the modification process zu an entire strategy for producing high value wood-plastic-composites.
Based on preliminary work in the field of acetylating monomeric lignin-model-compounds, organosolv-lignin, avicell-cellulose, solid wood and wood flour with isopropenyl-acetate, the project shall point out the feasibility of different wood-modification-processes and the fabrication of concrete products (see projectproposal "FdZ-3. AS wood plastic moulding").
The project steps are desrcibed in the following:
- Status quo an drawing out the experimental design
- Acetylating of wood particles with isopropenyl-acetate (optimization)
- Acylation of wood particles with long-chain anhydrides
- Modification of wood particles by impregnation with hydrophobic compounds
- Production of wood plastic composite - test pieces
- Evaluation of the mechanical properties of the composites and based on this results property-profiles can be developed
- Chemical and physical tests of the fibre/matrix composite. Estimation of fibre decomposition by modification and processsing
- Scaling up, first implementation of modification processs in pilot stations for cost estimation and having enough material for subsequent pilot station scale production-processes
- Evaluation of modification processes, cost analysis and final results
Project results are on the one hand the evaluation of the different modification-processes, and on the other hand the effect of the processing on product properties, which where appropriate by networking with the project "FdZ-3. AS wood plastic moulding" will lead to marketable products.
Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Robert Putz
Tel.: +43 (0) 732/9015/5604
Project or cooperation partner
- Upper Austrian Research GmbH
Dr. Wolfgang Stadlbauer
Kompetenzzentrum Holz GmbH
Dipl.-Ing. Dr. Otmar Höglinger
St. Peter Strasse 25
Tel.: +43 (0) 732/9015/5600
Fax: +43 (0) 732/9015/5618