First energy autonomous revitalization of an urban former industry quarter with the standard type of "Passive House" to reduce primary energy max. 100 kWh/m2 NFL
Starting point / motivation
Formerly for industrial production used 100-years old buildings are on the one hand professional and historical accurate revitalized and are on the other hand with high efficient resources from renewable energy made energy autonomic.
Contents and goals
Content of the project was a realization of a well designed modern architecture in "Passive House Standard" according to PHPP considering the existing structural fabric. A profit energy concept for room conditioning in service buildings under exploitation of renewable resources is applied. A passive chill strategy for service building on the basis of office-use is implemented.
The first autonomous revitalization (rehabilitation, reconstruction and renewal) in the standard of Passivhouse offers a chance for the huge amount of housing form the 20th century to realize best practice objects. This could be a good basis for the improvement of promotions to urban energy efficient factor 10+ renovations.
- Beginning section 1 and 2 May 2009
- Completion section 1 August 2009 - restoration brick building
- presentation of the 1st results within the scope of World Sustainable Energy Days in 2010
- start of construction work/section 3 - Active Energy TowerSummer 2010
- completion section 3 Summer 2011
- proceed - and quality monitoring as well as optimising operation 2012
Methods of treatment
Essential items within the methodical procedure was an integral planning based on simulation of structural measures of rehabilitation, an enhancement of building substance because of capacious, energy-efficient rehabilitation considering the use of primary energy of the used building elements and an essential advancement of space and functional quality of the building by rearrangement of plan layouts. An amelioration of workplace convenience is achieved by room conditioning via innovative technologies. A management of natural light and artificial light is applied. Running costs can be reduced because of implementation of the "Standard Energy Plus" for room conditioning.
Among consequent improvement and reduction of primary energy of 100 kWh/m2 NFL at most per year and energy saving factor of 10 compared with the present situation this rehabilitation is arranged. Project goal is to conserve the existing buildings and to rehabilitate them with high energy efficiency. A durable façade with "Standard Passive House" is developed. Vacuum-insulating is employed in the street lining-up and in problem zones of the enlargement and rehabilitation. Altogether an increase of comfort could be attaint.
Expected results / conclusions
- before renovation: approx. 225 kWh/m2 NFL
- after renovation: energy autonomy for heating and cooling
- reduction of the energy demand for heating to 90%
- reduction of CO2 emissions for heating and cooling to 95%
- cumulation of user comfort compared with standard houses - fresh air and no mouldy rooms
- impulse to the Austrian economy for revitalization with components in Passive House Standards and locally usable renewable energy, as photovoltaic, wind energy, earth solar field
- airthightness n50 from LWZ 4,2 to LWZ 0,5
- quality management through blower door measuring and thermography
Fronius International GmbH, Management Board Corporate Services
Project or cooperation partner
- PAUAT Architekten ZT GmbH, DI Heinz Plöderl
- Team GMI Ingenieurbüro GmbH, DI Michael Berger
PAUAT Architekten ZTGmbH
Architekt DI Heinz Plöderl
Bernardingasse 14, A-4600 Wels
Tel.: +43 (7242) 79 660